Garlic Health tips
Garlic Health benefits are not automatic. If you are buying and using this herb, you want to be sure that you do the following.
Guidelines for the buying, storage and use of garlic
Who should NOT use Garlic Health cloves?
- Either grow your own or buy organic garlic. There is no real benefit from using garlic that is contaminated by pesticides or herbicides. A number of supermarkets, including Price Chopper and Trader Joe, now sell Organic garlic at reasonable prices.
If you can not buy organic, then look at the country of origin. Cheap imports from an Asian country know for its environmental pollutions are flooding the market. It is cheap but...
- Fresh Raw garlic is best. To prepare it: Unwrap a clove and slice it very thin. You can put it in salads or even in sandwiches. If you do not use the whole clove, put it in an air tight container in the refrigerator to use the next day.
Garlic loses its healing properties with age.
- Special Note: an important Garlic Health tip. The healing substances in garlic are destroyed by cooking. So putting it in sauce or with your potatoes or roast may make the food taste good but it will do little for your health.
Caveat: It has been found that peeling a clove, slicing it and exposing it to the air, will mean that fewer of its healing constituents will be destroyed by heat. So if you are cooking with garlic, prepare it first. Peel it, slice and leave it on a plate for 20 minutes while you do the rest of your preparations.
- Garlic wine or garlic water is effective. Soaking chopped or crushed garlic in wine or in water for a few hours
will release the antibiotic effects of garlic. Galen, an ancient physician, saved the lives of Roman Gladiators
by treating their wounds with garlic wine - thus preventing infection.
- Garlic powder and deodorized garlic capsules have no antibiotic effects. Save your money. Though
some hold that the cardiovascular effects remain in these forms of the herb.
Not everyone should use this potent bulb. Since it 'thins the blood' those with bleeding disorders or on blood thinning
drugs should check with their health care provider before starting to use it. so ,too, with anyone who has had
an organ transplant, or has impending surgery or anyone with 'brittle diabetes".
Some people are 'garlic intolerant'. They develop digestive problems or other reactions. Kyolic garlic is the
mildest form and some people can tolerate it when they can not use other forms..
Keep up with the latest anti-aging news. You can have Anti-Aging News delivered to you mailbox once a month. No ads. No gimmicks. Just the latest research I have found. Go to:
Newsletter sign up
You can read more about food and health at
Anti-aging Food Information
To read a list of specific conditions that can be addressed by
garlic go to: Garlic Health Conditions that the herb can
Home | Privacy | Financial Disclosure | Donate