Olive oil : Anti-aging Food
Olive oil has proved to be a beneficial Anti-aging substance. It has long been known that the Mediterranean diet
is one of the most beneficial eating plans for a long, healthy life. Recent research has focused on Extra Virgin Ol. Oil as one of the most effective parts of the Mediterranean diet.
Here is what the research shows:
- Anti-oxidant effect. Anti-oxidants have been show to play a crucial role in healthy longevity. Researchers at the Departments of Hygiene and Epidemiology at the University of Athens Medical School published a study in 2007. It noted that olive oil has "several microcomponents with antioxidant potential" and that its high "content in monounsaturated lipids appear to be essential for (its) beneficial effect." Trichopoulou A, Dilis V. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2007 Oct;51(10):1275-8.
- In 2005 the European Journal Clinical Investigation published material from the International conference on the healthy effect of virgin olive oil. The conference discussed many of the wide ranging beneficial effects. Among these were:
The Mediterranean diet which is rich in virgin olive oil "improves the major risk factors for cardiovascular disease, such as the lipoprotein profile, blood pressure, glucose metabolism and antithrombotic profile. Endothelial function, inflammation and oxidative stress are also positively modulated.">
Studies suggest that "the intake of monounsaturated fat
may be protective against age-related cognitive decline and Alzheimer's disease."
Microconstituents from virgin olive oil are bioavailable in humans and have shown antioxidant properties
and capacity to improve endothelial function.
They are also able to modify the haemostasis, showing antithrombotic properties (anti-blood clot)
In countries where virgin olive oil is the principal source of fat, cancer incidence rates are lower than in northern European countries which get most of their dietary fats from
- These same conclusions have been draw by other researchers. the evidence continues to mount that it helps in weight loss, control of hypertension, in averting breast cancer, age related memory loss and dementia in addition to its help with cholesterol and other cardiovascular markers. Everyone interested in
healthy aging would do well to use it.
Shopping & Storing: Some important suggestions.
Buy only Extra Virgin, sometimes called First Press. It is the best and has the most nutrients. It often has a greenish tint to it. If you see that, buy it! It may be a bit more expensive but if you wait for the sales (They often come at the end of the tomato harvesting season) you will find you can buy several bottles. It keeps well.
Buy it only in glass bottles. You do not want to ingest petro chemicals that may leach into the product from
a plastic bottle.
If you are not going to use it right away, store it in a dark place - the back of the storage cabinet is fine - so sunlight
does not affect it.
Put it on salads. You might squeeze a bit of lemon or even orange onto your salad also. It is a good substitute
You may find that pouring some on a plate, sprinkling it with a spice eg. cayenne pepper, onion flakes, red pepper,
Turmeric etc. makes a pleasant pre-dinner appetizer. And if you eat slowly, it will take the edge off your hunger
so you can serve more modest portions of your main course.
Begin to use it as a substitute for butter on mashed potatoes or other vegetables. If this is a new food technique
begin by using half butter and half of your best extra virgin. Nice.
And in all this you will know that you are taking practical action to ensure you have a healthy, long life.
Click here for Olive oil companions: Other Anti-aging foods
Have A Great Story or Information About This Topic?
Do you have a great story about this? Share it!
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.
Home | Privacy | Financial Disclosure | Donate