Emu oil is made from the fats of a native Australian bird. It has long been used in aboriginal medicine for the treatment of burns, wounds and even bruises. It has a reputation of being a good pain reliever - especially for joint pain. It is an especially penetrating oil since it is a natural lipid but lacks lacks phospholipid.
It is this penetrating quality that makes it attractive to sports trainers such as Doug Atkinson. It is also used by chiropractors and others in health care for the treatment of arthritis pain. The oil has also been used on burn patients. Dr. Griswold of Texas Tech University noted it showed a real difference in the reduction of scarring and inflammation of burns treated with it.
This unusual oil penetrates deeply into the skin promoting the healing from within. > But what is of real interest to those seeking anti-aging skin care is its use in moisturizers and skin creams.
In 1996, the Australian Journal of Dermatology published an article by A. Zemtsov, M. Gaddis and VM Montalvo-Lugo about its remarkable moisturizing and cosmetic properties.
Some of the qualities that make it particularly useful in moisturizers and skin creams are:
1. It is highly penetrating.
2. In its pure state it grows no bacteria and so is a particularly safe skin product.
3. It also has a low potential for irritating your skin.
4. It will not clog up your pores as mineral oil does. (Mineral oil, which is a form of petroleum, is used in many non-organic cosmetics and skin care products.)
5. Researchers have found that emu oil enables the top layers of your skin to hold water and so it is an excellent moisturizer. Some believe that its unique combination of saturated and unsaturated fatty acids may be the reason for this ability to retain moisture.
6. It has been shown to be highly effective for all sorts of skin conditions: rosacea, psoriasis, excema andfor the treatment of chronic dry skin. All have responded well to regular application of emu oil. (I can attest to its benefits for rosacea since after only two weeks of daily use my own rosacea was greatly reduced. )
As a result of all these qualities, this oil is a good product for your skin. If you are looking for an anti-aging skin care product, you would do well to give it a try. Here is a brief entry at Wikepeida about Emu oil
Click here for Anti-aging skin care: list of articles about