You can set up a small business It is easy to get a federal tax id and keep track of income and expenses. Then when you file income tax, you file a special section for your business. Talk to your accountant. There are lots of tax benefitsfor having a business.
Many people decide to go this route for jobs for seniors because there are all sorts of expenses you can include as tax deductions when you have a business: equipment, mileage, and if you dedicate a room in your house to 'business only', you can take a percent of all the maintenance, repairs, sanitation, taxes etc. as 'business expenses' so they act to reduce theoverall income from your business - thus saving taxes. It is worth talking to an accountant about this if you get serious about self employment.
Which system will work best for you? I do not know but I can tell you that I created a 'small business' back when I was in my sixties and I am glad I did. It has been very helpful to me. But your situation may be different. Do talk with an accountant.
But the BIG question for you is what sort of jobs for seniors do you want? What sorts of things will bring you the income you need while offering you some pleasure besides. You can have both income and enjoyment. Many of us find that working in retirement offers joys that working full time never had.
First approach to jobs for seniors is to turn hobby interests or work skills into income. To do this, you need to think things through in a systematic way.
Let' begin with your skills. What skills do you have? What do you like to do? Make a list - make it as long as you can. Do you like to drive? Shop? Fix things? Paint? Refinish? Garden? Sew? Think! What skills you have that others might need. Here are some examples of successful home based businesses run by retirees.
- Driving jobs for seniors. In my town there are some retirees who enjoy driving. One worked for a bus company. Another did deliveries. Since this town is about 2 hours from big city airports that do International flights, locals are delighted to learn that there is someone who will drive them in their own car to the airport, drop them off, bring the car back home and then return to pick them up when their return flight lands. It is convenient, a lot less expensive than hiring a limo AND there are no airport parking fees or worry that they will get to the airport and find the airport lot full. Fact is that this service has become so popular - all by 'word of mouth' - that there are now several retirees who will do it. And the nice thing is that the drivers can decide just how many trips they want to schedule.
- Small repairs jobs for seniors. There are scores of seniors, especially women, who have small jobs that need doing around the house. A lock changed, a screen door installed, a washer in a faucet, some high light bulbs replaced. A note posted at the senior center or with a religious organization will often bring a first job.....and then if you show up on time, are polite, do a good job and 'do not charge and arm and a leg', you will get referrals - especially if you ask for them.
- Gardening chores If you like to weed ( I have a passion for it myself), you may find that many a senior would be glad to hire you for an afternoon to do a 'bit of gardening'. Again a sign at the senior center - "Garden getting ahead of you? Call your Garden Helper. I will get those weeds under control".
- Small sewing jobs for seniors. Favorite sweaters have lost buttons but arthritic hands make repairs a nightmare.A dress needs a tuck...or someone who has developed a back hump because of spinal osteoporosis and feeling awfulbecause 'nothing fits right'. Check out how to adjust Clothing for those with back humps and Fashion with arthritis in mind.
- Errands or shopping If you enjoy shopping, some people would love you to pick up the groceries or takesomething to the cleaners or..... Again, your first customers can help spread the word - if you ask. Another route to this sort of work is to contact your local pharmacy and offer to deliver prescriptions. Many local drug stores have found that offering delivery service has increase their customerbase.
- Crafts, antiques and other special skills . Many a senior who has been a collector or crafts personfor years has turned this into some spending money by entering the fair circuit. Old postcards, linens, oldtools.....hand made toys. There are lots of opportunities BUT do be aware that such selling goes best in good times whenpeople feel flush and do not mind spending.
Another approach to jobs for seniors is to: Learn new skills, have fun and earn money at the same time . All the research on aging shows that those of us who continue to learn are more likely Keep our minds young. Some of us take this very seriously. I know I did. That is how I got into using the skills and knowledge I have to build this web site.
To be honest, after I retired I was concerned about how I would live out my days. I liked working and knew I would miss the daily interaction with others. I was a concerned about money because I wasn't rich. And a newly acquired 'documented disability" was one of the reasons I retired.
Then I found this company SBI (Solo Build It). After watching some videos and knowing they offered a 'money back guarantee', I knew I could try it out before committing myself.
I signed on AND.....
I have learned so much and had fun besides. And their user forum have given me a whole community of interesting people of all ages who are more than will to share tips and help solve problems.....in addition to the company's technical support helpers (who always reply within 24 hours or less).-
But I do not want to sound too enthusiastic but here is one I 76 year old woman who has had a whole world open before her.....and it adds to my income.
Who knows we might meet in one of the SBI forums and you'll be telling me that you never realized you could learn so much AND earn money besides.
Here is more information:
Want to know more? Check click on SBI - jobs for seniors now.