B12 supplement tips
B12 supplement - Tips for taking B12
If you have a deficiency of this vitamin, it should be easy to reverse BUT there are a few things you need to know if you are going to take supplements.
- Take folic acid when you take this vitamin. You will often find these two in combination in a supplement. The correct ration is 2:1. If the folic acid is 1,000 units then there should be 500 units of B12. Folic acid enhances its
action in lowering homocysteine, the amino acid that can increase your risk of heart disease and Alzheimer's disease when it is present at high levels.
- Do not take super levels of folic acid since too much can decrease vitamin B-12 levels in your blood. Check with your health care provider if you are not sure how much to take.
- Do not take Vitamin C at the same time as you are taking B12. Many people do not realize that Vitamin C may destroy B12. Separate any vitamin C dose by at least an hour before or after you take your vitamin B-12 - especially if you
take large doses of Vitamin C.
Special note If you are using on a general supplement for your daily requirements, check to see if the supplement also includes Vitamin C. If it does, you might ask your health care provider if you should be using a separate dose
for the B12 supplement.
- Review your prescription medications. Drugs such as cholestyramine, colchicine and neomycin (oral form only) reduce vitamin B-12 absorption. Also if you take potassium supplements, know that the 'extended release form' can interfere
with the absorption of this vitamin.
- After you have been taking the supplement for a few weeks, you may want to ask to have your B12 levels checked again. Some people need to get B12 injection or take the vitamin in drop form under their tongue because they have trouble absorbing the regular supplements. This is not common but it is worth getting checked out
More tips about supplements?
Supplements should be avoided by people sensitive or allergic to cobalamin, cobalt, or any other product ingredients. Check with your health care provider
if you have any concerns.
How expensive is it to treat this deficiency? It is one of the least expensive treatments - regular shots of
B12 will make all the difference AND if they are started soon enough the symptoms will reverse themselves. Old
people have regained their faculties and their dementia has reversed itself. Others are able to walk without falling. But if the remedy is applied too late (after 6 months) not all symptoms may be able to be reversed.
Go to Health Issues
Home | Privacy | Financial Disclosure | Donate